Since 2007, nearly 90 killings in the U.S. have been tied to Craigslist and other internet transactions. Five of those occurred in Florida. Many police departments around the country are offering Craigslist sellers/buyers the safe haven of their agency’s lobbies and parking lots so that transactions can take place.
As a service to the citizens of Ponce Inlet, the Ponce Inlet Police Department has designated the Police Department as a “Safe Zone” for these types of transactions. Should you feel the need to meet with a stranger to purchase or sell an item, please meet them at the Ponce Inlet Police Department, 4301 S. Peninsula Drive. If you cannot schedule the meeting during normal business hours, call the Communications Dispatch Center, non-emergency line at (386) 248-1777 and ask for an officer to stand-by with you at the Police Department. An officer will stand-by with you, calls for service permitting. Your safety is of paramount importance to us at the Ponce Inlet Police Department. Please consider using this service.
Tips for conducting online deals
- Only agree to meet at a law enforcement facility.
- Meet during daylight hours.
- Trust your instincts when conducting transactions. Don’t meet with suspicious people.
- Meet in the parking lot of a police department, if you can’t meet in the lobby. Typically they have cameras and police officers coming and going.
- Bring a friend or family member with you.
- Let others know where you are meeting and what time.
- Avoiding meeting at your home.
- Try your best to avoid nighttime transactions.
- Only except cash and not a personal check.
- When large items are being sold, meet publicly beforehand to exchange and photocopy one another’s identification papers (i.e. driver’s license).
Chief Frank Fabrizio
Ponce Inlet Police Department