Skip Navigation
Ponce Inlet FL Home
 
Detail Detail
This table is used for column layout.
 
 
Open for Business
 
Hurricane Recovery
 
Subscribe to News
 
Subscribe to News
 
Staff Email Login
 
Audio Streaming

Visit our Facebook Page
 
 
History of Ponce Inlet
1513
Ponce de Leon explored the Ponce Inlet area
1565
Spanish Army established St. Augustine, and gained control of Florida, driving out the French
1763
Spain lost Florida to the English at the end of the French and Indian War
1768
Dr. Andrew Turnbull settled a colony of Greeks, Italians and Minorcans in New Smyrna Beach.
1783
Turnbull colony deserted by indentured settlers who flee to St. Augustine
1790
Spain attempted to settle outlands from St. Augustine by use of land grants
1803
Antonio Pons (Ponz or Ponce), a New Smyrna Minorcan, granted 175 acres north of the inlet which he had been farming for 20 years on the point where the Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse now stands
1806
Antonio Pons driven off by the Indians and moves to St. Augustine
1812
Antonio Pons killed while serving the King of Spain during the Patriots War, started by American settlers
1820
Pons' widow received an additional grant of 230 acres in return for her husband's service to Spain
1821
Florida ceded to United States by Spain. Live oak lumbering began at Los Mosquitoes (Ponce de Leon Inlet)
1834
First lighthouse built on New Smyrna side of Inlet destroyed by Indians and a storm
1842
Bartola Pacetti, descendant of an Italian settler at New Smyrna, built a house of driftwood on fifty acres on the north side of the Inlet
1860
Mercedes Pacetti purchased the Pons Grant
1867
The Florida Land and Lumber Company established the Village of Port Orange near the Pons Grant. The postal stamp moved to Dunlawton Plantation, the present site of the city of Port Orange
1870
Congress appropriated $60,000 to secure a site and build a lighthouse at the inlet
1883
Bartola Pacetti paid $400 for ten acres on the north side of the inlet for the lighthouse reservation site
1884
Brigadier General Orville Babcock appointed engineer for building the lighthouse and named the community Ponce (Pons) Park, drowned in the Inlet
Mid
1880's
Ponce Park became the name of the community located on the north side of the Mosquito Inlet
1887
The Lighthouse went into service on November 1st
1890
Nathaniel Hasty recorded the Ponce Park subdivision plat
1890
La Ponce Hotel built on the river shore along the current Front Street
1903
Bert Pacetti, son of Bartola, named Bird Preservation Warden of the Mosquito Inlet Sanctuary by President Theodore Roosevelt
1926
Work stopped on Robert Pacetti's dream, "The Inlet Terrace Hotel and Subdivision" due to the collapse of Florida Land Boom
1928
Mosquito Inlet renamed Ponce de Leon Inlet
1939
Coast Guard took over the U.S. Lighthouse Service and the lighthouse at Ponce de Leon Inlet
1941
Families moved off lighthouse property to allow Coast Guardsman to live on-site
1946
Electric power run to Inlet
1960
Hurricane Donna ripped through Volusia County and Ponce Inlet with winds up to 100 mph
1963
Town of Ponce Inlet incorporated August 20th. First Town Council sworn-in at the lighthouse office
1964
Town leased the lighthouse reservation property from the U.S government for $1.00 per year  to use as Town Hall
1969
Water service brought to Ponce Inlet
1970
The Lighthouse’s beacon turned off and re-established in New Smyrna Beach across the Inlet
1971
First Ponce Inlet police car rolled into service
1972
U.S. Interior Department deeded the lighthouse reservation to the Town of Ponce Inlet
1975
Lighthouse opened daily to the public by the Preservation Society
1980
Ponce Inlet government moved into a new Town Hall at 4680 S. Peninsula Drive
1982
Light was returned to the Lighthouse tower and a new balcony at the top opened to the public
1998
The first Ponce Preserve parcels acquired, 4401 S. Peninsula Drive
1999
Hurricane Irene ripped through Volusia County and Ponce Inlet with winds up to 100 mph.
2002
The final parcel for Ponce Preserve acquired
2003
Ayres & Kay Davies Lighthouse Park dedicated on February 19, 2003
2003
The new Public Works facility  at 4875 S. Peninsula dedicated November 21, 2003
2004
Hurricanes Charley, Jeanne, Ivan, & Frances tore through Florida making this an unprecedented Hurricane Season.  
2004
Timucuan Oaks Garden parcel acquired
2005
Ponce Inlet Police Department earned State Law Enforcement Accreditation for the first time.
2006
New Town Hall and Council Chambers built at 4300 S. Atlantic Avenue
2006
Old Town Hall/Police/Fire Station renovated for specific Fire Station use
2006
New Ponce Inlet Police Station built at 4301 S. Peninsula Drive
2007
Ponce Preserve Boardwalk over the marshland completed at 4401 S. Peninsula Drive
2007
Wilbur Bay Wetlands parcel acquired for protection, 4324 S. Peninsula Drive
2007
North and South Turns of the Historic Beach Road/Beach course added to the Ponce Inlet Register of Historic Places
2010
Ponce Inlet Historical Museum opened to visitors in the newly restored Meyer-Davis House and Hasty Cottage at 143 Beach Street
2011
Ponce Preserves improvements  completed at  4401 S. Peninsula including trails, exercise equipment, two playgrounds, lookout tower and dune walkover to the beach
2012
Ponce Inlet Fire Department began providing Emergency Medical Transport service
2014
Timucuan Oaks Garden boardwalk over the marsh completed at 4550 S. Peninsula Drive
2016
Timucuan Oaks entrance facilities completed and memorial to Constance D. Hunter dedicated on January 30, 2016


 
 
Town of Ponce Inlet 4300 South Atlantic Avenue, Ponce Inlet, FL 32127 Phone: 386-236-2150